Cameron's Reviews > Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse

Wastelands by John Joseph Adams

Jan 30, 10

bookshelves: fiction, post-apocalypse, favorites
Read in January, 2010

Hands-down the best anthology of post-apocalypse stories I've ever read, INCLUDING zombie anthologies, which says a lot coming from me.

I usually don't enjoy short story collections very much because it seems like the stories end right when I'm really starting to like the characters and get into the setting. This book wasn't disappointing at all, though - there are 22 tales and only one of them was a flop (Mute, by Gene Wolfe). If you like abstract art, though, you may enjoy that story as well.

As a bonus, there is a recommended-reading list in the back of the book, so I have tons of new authors and post-apocalypse novels to look up. This anthology is an absolute treasure trove.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wastelands.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Becky I own this and really need to get around to reading it! :)

Jeff I'm with you on Mute. I just finished it and I have no idea what the hell the point of the story is. It seems more like a ghost story than a post-apocalypse story. And what's with the closing paragraph?

Warm and naked, her brother followed her [to bed] half a minute later. "You know, Jelly," he said as he drew her to him, "we're probably the only live people in the whole world."

Bow-chicka-bow-wow-barf! They're what, 13 and 11?