Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Siren

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Jan 14, 10

bookshelves: favorites

My Summary: Vanessa has always lived in Justine's shadow. Brave, beautiful and daring, Justine lived life to the fullest, while Vanessa tried to hide from it. Whenever Vanessa looked at her sister, she saw everything she wishes she could be.

Then Justine dies in a terrible drowning accident, and Vanessa learns some secrets that she never knew about her sister. Looking for answers, Vanessa teams up with Simon to find his brother, Caleb - Justine's longtime summer fling - who just might be the only one who has some answers. Together, they search for him, but they also start discovering some disturbing realizations about the mysterious string of deaths in Winter Harbor. The more they learn, the quicker they realize they need to get to the bottom of everything, because who knows who will be next to die...

Review: Everything I wanted and more, Siren is captivating.

Vanessa is sweet, innocent, and a bit scared of things (a lot of things). Yet, this novel showcases her growth as she gets past some of those fears. Simon is the sweet, kinda geeky guy that Vanessa has always known and liked. I loved how Simon was a smart guy, and protective. I could keep going, talking about the other realistic characters, but then I'd be writing an essay.

I may be a bit biased, because I've always loved mythology. Siren, however, blew my expectations out of the water. Rayburn infused this story with a bit of romance, plenty of mystery that kept me saying "No way!", and a killer conclusion that has me wishing for another book about Vanessa, and fast.

Highlights: The character's seemed real, which is the highest compliment I can pay to Rayburn.

Lowlights: You can easily see some of the plot points coming, if you really think about it. The beginning was also a bit slow to get going, but once it did, WOW. I loved this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siren.