Kaleigha's Reviews > Checkmate

Checkmate by Annmarie McKenna

Jan 25, 10

Not as strong a four as the first in the series, but still a very good read. After getting to know Eli in the first book, Seeing Eye Mate, we now get his story in Checkmate. I preferred the first story a bit more, for some reason it caught me right from the start, but this one was good, too.

Eli has knows for a while who his mate is, but things have gotten in the way of him claiming her. First, there was the mate killer that was on the loose, then there was the eight month overseas security job he had to do. Not to mention the fact that his mate, Nikki, is the little sister of his best friend and completely human. And has no idea that Eli is a wolf shifter. Or so Eli thinks...

With his assignment over and the killer caught, there is nothing standing in Eli's way now. His only thought is to come home and claim his mate. But things have happened in the eight months Eli has been away, and Nikki is not the same woman she was when he left. Not only that, but a psychotic serial rapist-killer has Nikki pegged as his next victim. But security is Eli's speciality, and no one is going to hurt his mate again, no matter what he has to do.

Nikki Taylor survived a brutal attack that changed her life forever. Instead of being the carefree Nikki of old, she now lives in constant fear, not only of the ones that hurt her, but of Eli finding out what happened to her. She has been in love with Eli forever, but he has always treated her like an over-protective big brother, and Nikki figures that any chance she had with the man of her dreams was taken away from her along with everything else. What she doesn't expect is Eli's reaction. There is nothing brotherly about Eli anymore, and it might be more than Nikki can handle.

You have to feel for both Nikki and Eli in this one. Nikki has been terrorized and traumatized, and suffered both physically and mentally. And there is nothing harder on a shifter male than having his mate threatened. But with Eli's support, Nikki slowly begins to take her life back. While they have loved and wanted each other forever, the constant threat hanging over Nikki's head makes living their new life together almost impossible. The only way to stop the threat is to put Nikki directly in the killer's sights...which Eli can't tolerate.

I liked both Nikki and Eli in this one, and was rooting for them. While for me they lacked a certain...explosiveness...that Tieran and Caelan had, they were still a very hot couple. If I have ever loathed a bad guy more in a book I can't remember him, and the only problem I had was that his getting what was coming to him didn't hurt enough. I don't think that there are any more books in this series which is a shame...Annmarie McKenna writes a great shifter romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Checkmate.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol im looking forward to reading these two books from your reviews... they sound good!!! right now im reading the 2nd book in the Barb and J.C. Hendee series, (first was Dhampir) and it is a 6 series set, so i'll finish that first. it is amazingly good! i love it, have you read the series?

Kaleigha Thanks, Carol.

I have never heard of either the writer or the author, I must admit. But I will check it out. I always love the recommendations...thanks.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol the 2nd one im reading is "Thief of Lives"
the covers are very cheesy, if not for all the great reviews, i wouldn't have even picked it up. in this case, it is definately,"dont judge the book by the cover!!" if you read it, will be waiting for your review!!