T.j.'s Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

M_50x66
Jun 14, 11

Read in April, 2008

A determined man can be a dangerous man

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Quotes T.j. Liked

Alexandre Dumas
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Alexandre Dumas
“What I’ve loved most after you, is myself: that is, my dignity and that strength which made me superior to other men. That Strength was my life. You’ve broken it with a word, so I must die.”

Alexandre Dumas
“I have always had more dread of a pen, a bottle of ink, and a sheet of paper than of a sword or pistol.”

Alexandre Dumas
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you”

Alexandre Dumas
“So, preferring death to capture, I accomplished the most astonishing deeds, and which, more then once, showed me that the too great care we take of our bodies is the only obstacle to the sucess of those projects which require rapid decision, and vigorous and determined execution.
In reality, when you have once devoted your life to your enterprises, you are no longer the equal of other men, or, rather, other men are no longer your equals, and whosoever has taken this resolution, feels his strength and resources doubled.”

Alexandre Dumas
“Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,-Wait and hope.”

Alexandre Dumas
“So much the worse for those who fear wine, for it is because they have some bad thoughts which they are afraid the liquor will extract from their hearts.”

Alexandre Dumas
“It is the way of weakened minds to see everything through a black cloud. The soul forms its own horizons; your soul is darkened, and consequently the sky of the future appears stormy and unpromising”

Alexandre Dumas
“He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness… Live, then and be happy beloved children of my heart and never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words – wait and hope.”

Alexandre Dumas
“Woman is sacred; the woman one loves is holy.”

Alexandre Dumas
“Youth is a blossom whose fruit is love; happy is he who plucks it after watching it slowly ripen.”

Alexandre Dumas
“To learn is not to know; there are the learners and the learned. Memory makes the one, philosophy the others.”

Alexandre Dumas
“Those born to wealth, and who have the means of gratifying every wish, know not what is the real happiness of life, just as those who have been tossed on the stormy waters of the ocean on a few frail planks can alone realize the blessings of fair weather.”

Alexandre Dumas
“I am a Count, Not a Saint.”