Claire's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jan 21, 10

bookshelves: good-read
Read from January 19 to 21, 2010

If this book were a food it'd be a delicious, moist, chocolately cake! I thought the whole book being written in letter format might get old, but it didn't. The story was captivating.

Incidentally, I went digging through Google and other sites online to look up more about the Todt workers and my search led me to look at a whole slew of things related to concentration camps and associated things. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and just couldn't go back to sleep because I kept thinking of those poor people and the horrible abuses they suffered. I know that we're supposed to remember these things so that they don't get repeated, but these atrocities were repeated in Vietnam and Russia among other places. As I took a warm shower this morning using all the soap and shampoo I wanted, put lotion on, searched my closet through all kinds of clothes and ate my delicious breakfast of Fruit Loops and OJ I just kept thanking God that I live where I do, when I do.
1 like · likeflag

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robin Claire - I read this book a few months back and just loved it. The cooking theme was amusing; the characters were just wonderful. I'd read another novel (years ago) with the same format - all the story told via letters and other written communications; really a great way to tell a story. In the years since email has become so prevalent a form of communication, I've begun using selected emails and other letters I write and receive as my journal. I just print or copy the ones that are relevant to my personal or family history, 3-hole punch them and put them in a binder. My family will either love or hate me for this some day. There's a lot of pages!