Reza's Reviews > Harvey Comics Classics, Vol. 2: Richie Rich

Harvey Comics Classics, Vol. 2 by Sid Jacobsen

Oct 31, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

I was a huge Richie Rich fan growing up. My brother-in-law had a giant collection of Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge, and some of the other Disney comics and I read them religiously. The collection was likely from the later 70s-early 80s and had some of the spinoff comics that went with it. So I was pretty excited when I finally got my paws on this collection and sadly I was disappointed.

The art is great, though you really cannot go wrong using the original plates, so that's not the issue. Rather I suspect it's the timeframe and the choice of included issues that I dislike. The first half of the book are short strips from when Richie Rich was included in Little Lulu comics. These stories are trite and the moralizing left me feeling irritated. Richie Rich, the boy who wipes his butt with $100 bills doesn't do moralizing well at all.

The second half of the book picks up when Richie got his own comic. The collection picks up at this point, though I do wonder if there were better represenations of the mastery that was Richie Rich to choose from.

Now, maybe I'm getting cynical with old age, but I don't think that's the issue. Rather I think either I'd enjoy a volume that consisted of later issues from Richie Rich, or Richie Rich sucked and this collection demonstrates that. I hope it's the former.

If you want a collection about a rich comic denizen then I'd suggest The Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge and Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge Companion by Don Rosa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvey Comics Classics, Vol. 2.