Lori's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Mar 22, 2010

bookshelves: faith-building, thought-provoking, 2009
Recommended to Lori by: several friends
Read in December, 2009

Thought provoking - though he is definitely no C.S. Lewis but he doesn't claim to be. I found myself thinking back on this one even though I disagree with several of his points. I enjoyed being challenged from a different perspective that occasionally caught me off guard. I very much enjoyed his casual approach to his topics, kind of like hanging out with a good friend who says, "You know, I was thinking..." It has made makes me re-evaluate some of my perspectives and has forced me to consider that some of my positions on issues may be more culturally than scripturally grounded.

This wasn't earth-shattering, ground-breaking new revelation, but musings (Nonreligious thoughts!) shared in a real, down-to-earth style that touched on thoughts/issues/feelings dealt with by most anyone who has honestly examined their faith. I thought it definitely worth a read and have enjoyed several discussions with friends that were sparked by points he mentioned. I thoroughly recommend any book that gets Christians examining or reconsidering their motives, practices and rituals in favor of a practical, daily practice of faith that forces people out of their religious comfort zones and into real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.

01/14/2010 "Really enjoying this so far. Very much like what Scott or Warren would write and I always find that challenging."