Afton Nelson's Reviews > An Echo in the Bone

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: adult
Read in January, 2010

In short, I think this book suffers from TMI.

Too many medical details, too many war details, and hello! Too much about what Ian thinks of his cousin and what he's doing when his auntie and uncle think he's sleeping! TMI!

While the information is fascinating, the vast amount of it bogs down the story in some instances. The story is already very complicated and I have to applaud the author on her weaving of the various plot lines and the history into something attractive and enjoyable. However, at times I found it difficult to keep up. There were so many things going on, so many people, so much back story (all of which I devoured only 2 summers ago) that I found myself occasionally confused. Sometimes the confusion would clear up after a few pages or chapters, but there are a few things I find myself still scratching my head about now that I've finished the book.

My biggest complaint has to be that at the end, all of the major characters save one were left hanging from their proverbial cliffs and according to the author, it takes her 3 years to write one of these books so I'm stuck waiting until 2012 to find out what happens. By that point, I probably will have forgotten many important details and be confused all over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Bone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erika I would have to agree Afton. I didn't even finish the book. I ended up selling it on Amazon. I found it slow and just way too long. It was all the same old stuff that happened in the other books and I found myself a little bored. I think the author needs to just quickly wrap this series up and stop dragging it out for years on end. It's time to move on already!