Marcele's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

May 08, 12

bookshelves: owned-copy, read-in-2012, recommended-for-me, about-families, favorites
Read from May 06 to 08, 2012

"(...) we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on".
What a great novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

Quotes Marcele Liked

Jeffrey Eugenides
“She held herself very straight, like Audrey Hepburn, whom all women idolize and men never think about.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“We couldn't imagine the emptiness of a creature who put a razor to her wrists and opened her veins, the emptiness and the calm.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“In the end, it wasn't death that surprised her but the stubbornness of life.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“In the end, the tortures tearing the Lisbon girls pointed to a simple reasoned refusal to accept the world as it was handed down to them, so full of flaws.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The girls took into their own hands decisions better left to God. They became too powerful to live among us, too self-concerned, too visionary, too blind.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“We realized that the version of the world they rendered for us was not the world they really believed in...”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Capitalism has resulted in material well-being but spiritual bankruptcy.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“She wanted out of that decorating scheme.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“All wisdom ends in paradox.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Winter is the season of alcoholism and despair.”

05/06/2012 page 6