Sally's Reviews > The Ladies of Grace Adieu

The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: short-stories, historical, fantasy, england
Read from February 16 to 18, 2011, read count: 1

1. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - the words were pretty enough, but for some reason my brain seemed to glaze over the story itself. I couldn't tell you what happened!
2. On Lickerish Hill - I thought it to be a quite fun retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, but for the actual writing! *shudders* Call me boring, but I just don't find it fun reading when every second word is misspelled in order to portray old dialect and the spelling of the era.
3. Mrs. Mabb - quite interesting and enjoyable! Although at times a bit too wordy.
4. The Duke of Wellington Misplaces His Horse - ah, now THIS is more like it!
5. Mr. Simonelli, or: The Fairy Widower - I just couldn't get into it. Sigh.
6. Tom Brightwind, or: How the Fairy Bridge Was Built at Thoresby - another that just felt so very long. Slow start, good middle, but lost me before the end.
7. Antickes and Frets - Now this one I did quite enjoy. :D
8. John Uskglass and the Cumbrian Charcoal Burner - a lovely, wonderful ending to the set! My favourite by far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

02/16/2011 page 65
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruby Oh, I think you should read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell! That was a very very brilliant book and some of the stories in here make more sense after reading that. But really, I thought that book was worth every page. (My copy had 1006)

Sally o.O so many pages! I might have to gear myself up for it xD