Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Wild Romance: A Victorian Story of a Marriage, a Trial, and a Self-Made Woman

Wild Romance by Chloe Schama

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, first-reads, 2010-release
Read from February 26 to 28, 2010

I had a hard time with this book (a goodreads win) and I will explain why, but first I want to make one thing clear. My dislike of this book is not due to the author's lack of skill or finesse. The research put into this book is impeccable. My dislike for this book stems more from my personal dislike of the woman it is about.

This is about Theresa Longworth aka Theresa Yelverton aka Teresina Peregrina, a woman who during the late 1800s made waves in England with her scandalous marriage and divorce. The first 75 pages are a bit rough as they outline Theresa's romance thru letters with Charles Yelverton. In this part, it was sort of too much, "her letter said this and his letter said that.." so it was "bumpy" here to say the least. It is thru this penpal courtship tho, that readers start to form their own opinions. One minute I sided with her.. the next I found myself sympathizing with him.. Theresa pursued this man like there was no tomorrow and comes across as very pushy. Charles seems a bit of tease with no apparent interest in Theresa outside of the bedroom. Why she pursued him so persistently I never did figure out. Nevertheless, this is where I started disliking the woman this is about and my dislike grew throughout their trial as she tries to force this man to stay married to her while he has already married someone else. She spent fifteen years fighting for this man.

After all this, Theresa begins to travel and here the book got more interesting for me. I especially liked her visits to Utah and Sri Lanka. However, her views on slavery caused me to dislike her character even more. I quite frankly grew to hate Theresa.

If I wasn't so impressed with the research and time put into this, I would probably give it two stars, but the research being what it is, I have gave it three.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Romance.

02/26/2010 page 1
0.37% "Arrived in mail today. A first reads win. :)" 4 comments
02/27/2010 page 75
27.57% "My personal opionion... She was a stalker and he was a tease. He so obviously didn't want to marry her so why did she persist and persist?"
02/28/2010 page 145
53.31% "Getting more interesting with the traveling."

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 17: by Irene (last edited Jan 14, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Irene Whoa, this sounds very interesting!!

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Chevrestt I know! I added it to my Amazon wish list too. I discovered it when I was browsing the contests. I have found some gems in that contest. This is and another one look super good.. Radium Halos: A Novel about the Radium Dial Painters

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene Thanks for mentioning Radium Halos: A Novel about the Radium Dial Painters. My library doesn't have a copy. They should.

message 14: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Chevrestt I can't find it anywhere for less than ten bucks or I would have bought it by now. I may just have to wait till I preorder a book so I can get free shipping on it. I hate paying over ten bucks for a book..and that is after shipping.

message 13: by Irene (last edited Jan 14, 2010 11:06AM) (new)

Irene I agree, especially when the book only has 224 pages! I already have requested a book purchase of this title from our library. They know me well!
Wild Romance: A Victorian Story of a Marriage, a Trial, and a Self-Made Woman is also under 300 pages (my benchmark for book pricing).

message 12: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Chevrestt You know, funny you mention page numbers.. I been wanting to read a book Patience Stone but it is expensive and my libary (I go to the military libary and haven't checked the city one but it will no doubt be on a bloody waiting list if they even have it!) doesn't have it and it only a mere 154 or so pages!!! UGH! Check it out tho. May interest you.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene It's on order at our library. I placed a reserve on it. Will let you know how it is. In Saratoga Springs, we pay a LIBRARY tax, so I utilize my rights as a Library taxpayer. They are very pleasant to deal with, and I can't remember a single book they did not order when requested.

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Chevrestt I just checked my county libary for three books, one of them, A Thousand Veils and they don't have it!!!! It's not in my system at all! Mr. Murphy told me the libary should have it.. Well not here in Utah. LOL So much for joining the discussion group. Even if I order it at this point from Amazon, it will take two weeks to show up.

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene I just received an e-mail from our library that they have ordered Radium Halos: A Novel about the Radium Dial Painters, and will let me know when it comes in.

D.J. has been asking all of those to whom he originally sent copies of A Thousand Veils, to request their library to purchase a copy. If you have inter-library loan, maybe one of the other libraries in your system has a copy?

Tara Chevrestt I couldn't find infor about that on the website. I think I have to go to the main library tho like 25 miles away and well.. ugh. Need I say more? LOL

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet It should not matter what library you go to they should order it for you from another library in the system. It might not be listed yet is all and you should just let them know that when or if it comes in you want to be first on the list. You should not have to go SLC to do this.

Tara Chevrestt No, my library has just started offering to do this.. but that particular book is not available at libraries.. self published.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Janet's right, its very very rare that they can't find a book for me somewhere in the country via ILL. If they won't honor purchase requests for the newer stuff you should try for ILL via those as well. King County buys just about everything and they do participate in the ILL program. I've never even been asked to pay for shipping.

Tara Chevrestt Now my grandma has had to pay shipping. The library I go to isn't with a county, but a base... Until last week I had no idea that they could get books from SLC. In the entire year I have been going in there, they have never once offered to get a book for me. Now I am finally getting some books. Just not the self published ones. Dunno why.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet They might not purchase self published one for the library on base. You just hadn't run into the right aide that would be willing to go the extra step for you is all.

Tara Chevrestt Actually, Radium Halos isn't even listed in the Weber county system. Neither is A Thousand Veils or Dandelions in the Garden. All self published. Logan, an hour away has Veils, but I think that is too far out of the system.

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet I think they would get that book for you. My library has gone 60 miles to get a book.