Cynthia's Reviews > Emily's Ghost: A Novel of the Brontë Sisters

Emily's Ghost by Denise Giardina

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: great-reads
Read in January, 2010

This is a piece of historical fiction that I saw reviewed in our local paper. Then my mom read it and recommended it as well. Based on the lives of the Bronte sisters, this novel focuses on the three surviving sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne. This novel had me hooked from the beginning. The author definitely favors Emily, as Charlotte is portrayed as a closed-minded, society climbing person and Anne is the quiet, steady sister. I found myself not liking Charlotte even though I strongly prefer Charlotte's "Jane Eyre" to Emily's "Wuthering Heights." After reading this book I would like to read both of these books again, and Anne's "Agnes Grey" which I have never read.

I enjoyed the complexities of Emily's romance in the book. I realize the love story comes from the author's imagination, but I liked the fact that it was a deep love and an unselfish love. I was also moved by the social problems that the Bronte family was faced with during this time. Working amongst the poorest of the poor they certainly saw their fair share of social injustices. I liked this book a lot and if you like anything written from this time period you'll probably enjoy this work of fiction as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily's Ghost.