Pamela 's Reviews > 1984

F 50x66
Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: worth-reading-again-and-again
Read from June 15 to 18, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I am very glad I didn't read this book as a teenager. First of all, I think it would have terrified me and left me depressed for weeks on end; and second of all, I don't think I would've appreciated it the way I do now.

One of the most fascinating and horrifying things to me was how The Party gained almost complete control over the people.
(in no particular order):
-They controlled them by constant monitoring and fear of being caught by the Thought Police. If an individual was suspected of being against The Party, even by thought alone, they would be tortured and wiped out of existence.
-They controlled them by changing the way history was recorded to suit The Party's interests at any given time. "The past not only changed, but changed continuously."
-They controlled them by manipulating language to the point where words that had any freedom of thought were changed or eliminated all-together.
-They controlled them by bombarding the people with violent songs, movies, and speech that promoted hatred of The Party's enemies and complete devotion to the always watching Big Brother.
-They controlled them with never-ending war.
-They controlled them by slowly destroying the family unit.

The people were programmed to think the way The Party wanted them to think.
"They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening. By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind."

To live in the world of 1984 was to live in unconscious obedience.

I don't believe the world will come to this; however, one thing we should learn is that we must not be unconscious to things around us. Unlike the ending of this book, I believe good will ultimately prevail over evil, but the good people in the world must never give up the fight.

There are a thousand different concepts you could discuss within this book. I am very certain that the way you choose to interpret the messages depend greatly on your spiritual and political beliefs. I think this book has a very relevant place in the world today, just as it did back when it was written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.