Shannon Stults's Reviews > The Body Finder

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, i-own, 2011, series, blog
Read from April 06 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy

For as long as she can remember, Violet has had the ability to somehow sense a murdered body. Whether it be a mouse the cat caught or a body some serial killer dumped in the lake. The body calls out to her, drawing her near before she even has time to recognize what it is. When murdered, each soul leaves behind an "echo", not only in the mudered body, but on the murderer as well. In her junior year of school, Violet and others become aware that a murderer is near, abducting young girls and leaving only their dead bodies behind. There are no leads and the police are helpless. Picking up on the echos of the victims, Violet soon realizes that is the only one with the abilities that can catch this guy. She soon determines to find the killer, regardless of how dangerous it is and knowing how her parents and protective best friend, Jay (who she's starting to have more-than-best-friend feelings for) feel about her decision.

Problems:

1) The legal process of catching the bad guy didn't quite add up to me. I understand that they found him guilty and he admitted to some of the crimes (sorry if that spoils it) but I don't see how the Chief got away with the initial arrest, especially without any actually grounds for it.

Praises:

1) I've mentioned on more than enough reviews that I absolutely can't stand the typical, whining high-school girl who's only attention and concern in life is the guy she's in love with (which I like to call the Bella Swann Syndrome). Thankfully, Violet is not like this. Sure, she's a girl with issues, and one of those happens to be the crush on her best friend. But she also realizes that there are more important things out there, like maybe the dead bodies that keep popping up in town. She seems to me like a girl who's got her head on straight. Finally!! 2) It's a completely new story, to me at least. I like different takes on she usual concepts, but I can't resist a brand new story. And not only did she create a new paranormal ability, but she totally made it awesome! 3) Great ending! I love when the climax, that major action scene goes right up to the last few pages and then its just over. I get a little irritated or bored when authors take like ten chapters to sum up everything that happened after the climax and finally bring it to a close. This was a quick, clean ending.

Predictions:

Unfortunately, this ending shed little light on what will happen in the next book. I can only assume that there is another killer out there that Violet will have to find, but hopefully the author can take that plot and give it a new angle and some twists to keep it interesting!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Finder.