Samantha's Reviews > Oh. My. Gods.

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: 9th-grade-advisory
Read in January, 2010

Phoebe has a strong love for running and being with her friends. She has her whole life planned ahead of her and wants to stick in Los Angeles with her friends. But, her mother comes back from Greece with big news: She's getting married! Phoebe's in shock, mostly because she can't even imagine her mother as the type to go out and date, but also because her mother is forcing her to move to Greece, for her new stepfather cannot leave the island of Serfopoula. And so, she is forced to leave behind her two close friends, Nola and Cesca, and move across the globe to a new place with new faces to meet and many new people who despise her. And not because she's athletic. No, it's because she's an outsider and doesn't fit in with them. How? Because she's not a descendant of any of the Greek gods. The new school she's being forced to attend is the Academy, Plato's school and one filled with children of powerful gods. They stare at her and treat her like a freak, calling her all sorts of names that add up to one definition: she's not one of them at all. Only two people, Troy and Nicole, take her in and accept her for who she is. Besides having to deal with obnoxious people in school, she's forced to face her stepsister, Stella, who's just as rude and hateful. The only thing that can pull her through her misery is her love of running, but will it be enough?

Having some knowledge of Greek gods and history helped me to understand this book. It talks a lot about Greek gods and you have to know some of them already to completely comprehend this book. It vaguely reminded me of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, which I enjoyed very much. This book was pretty good too, but at some points, I noticed the author, Tera Lynn Childs, kind of sped the moments up alittle too much and made it seem like she was rushing through them. Overall, this was a very enjoyable book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh. My. Gods..