Gerry's Reviews > Anne Frank Remembered: The Story Of The Woman Who Helped To Hide The Frank Family

Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies

U_50x66
Jan 23, 10

Recommended for: anyone
Read in January, 2010

I have to put my hand up and admit that I have never read anything about Anne Frank before. This was a positive and personal choice. My mother was born of Jewish parents and converted to Christianity at a time my grandfather felt it worthy of the comment that it would not save her from the Nazis. Because of this I have always been afraid to pursue the subject but fully aware of the horrors to which the Jewish people were subjected. It must also be remembered that of the 11 million slaughtered in the holocaust, 5 million were not Jewish but books like the diary of Anne Frank leave people thinking that only the Jewish people were targeted.

However that is all on the macro level, this book deals on the micro level and as Mies Giep points out, she was one of a whole army of people who put their lives at risk to help a few people to survive the war, although, as in the case of the Franks, not always with success.

I did enjoy the book and found it interesting in many ways. It is easy to consider the terror of the people being hidden and pursued, but the terror of those who assisted and protected them, knowing that discovery was likely to mean their own death, is easy to ignore. Mies tries to portray that daily terror to the reader and further to explain the lengths they had to go to keep their charges fed and healthy. Is it well written? Well I must say no, but it is honestly written and the afterword of this edition does not read anything like the main body. I believe this is because the afterword was paraphrased from the musings of the 100 year old Mies.

Mies didn't see herself as brave but would I have done the same? As a single man I would like to think I would but as a married man with children I know I wouldn't, although many thousands of individuals across Europe did exhibit such bravery to protect individuals from persecution and death. I take my hat off to all of them and thank Mies for showing me a little of the lengths such people had to go to.

Will I now read the diary? Well I am more likely to, but not yet.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne Frank Remembered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terri Lynn I hope you will read it Gerry. Anne was one person. Just one. She has managed to touch my own life across the years. She was a young girl with hopes, dreams, problems, the works. I think I would have loved being her friend if I had lived in that time and place. I am an Atheist. My Atheist dad fought along with his brothers in World War 2 and were horrified at the deaths of Jews, Atheists (Hitler killed Jews because he was a devout Christian as he said in his speeches and in his book Mein Kampf and he targeted and killed Atheists for not being Christians), freedom fighters, those who protected Jews and others who were targeted, those who were retarded, weak, sick, etc. I read a lot of books by people who survived the era and survived the camps but Anne is in my heart forever for she was just a little girl as I once was and I see a lot of her in myself when I was a teen. Her diary is a treasure I have read over and over for the past 40 plus years (I am 52) and love her even more with each reading. Don't cheat yourself out of meeting this ordinary girl who has captured so many hearts. It is well worth it.