Rhiannon's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Mar 17, 08

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read in March, 2008

I picked this book up at a library sale for about $2. I'm reading it aloud to the kids as "bedtime stories." We're also intermittenly watching a few of the million movie versions.

At first the kids stared blankly off into space as I read, as the words are bigger and more complex even than the ones I use with them (and more than a few people have taken notice of how "big" I speak to my kids). Even I had to read pages a second time to understand what exactly we were reading about. But once we got into the rhythm of the story and the language, we all relaxed into it and began picturing the events in our own imaginations. The kids occasionally ask me to explain or define a word, and often beg me to keep reading well past bedtime.

This story appeals to my sense of what childhood should be full of: literature and imagination without being dumbed down. We've gotten past the chapter titled "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and I have to say that I was fearful that this chapter would disappoint after being built up so high in my own head. It most certainly did not! I found myself catching my breathe afterwards. Entirely beautiful.

We're nearly done with the book and I believe I may be stalling to finish in order to keep the story alive in my own head just a little bit longer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

Alina Rhiannon, thanks for sharing your experience of reading this with your kids! Thanks for being willing to stick to it, and not to give in to the temptation to "make it easy" for children. I am just starting to think about having kids, and I think a lot about what kind of books I would like to read to them. Reading your story inspires me and elevates my hopes!

Karin how old are the kids you are reading with?

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan My Grandmother read this to my sister and I when we were kids. Now I am reading it to mine (ages 8 and 4). My experience with my children is very similar to yours. At first they didn't seem to like it, but now they are eager to hear more. My son, who is 4 especially loves the stories of Toad.