Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, series, middle-grade, read-in-2010
Read in January, 2010

Theodosia Throckmorton spends most of her days in the Museum of Legends and Antiquities. Her father is the Head Curator of the museum and her mom is quite the archaeological excavator. She digs up sites all over Egypt, attempting to find lost and ancient artifacts. What her parent don’t realize, is that the artifacts they dig up and display in the museum, hold ancient curses and are shrouded in black magic. Theodosia has the job of keeping her parents safe by getting rid of these curses, but because she appears to be the only one who can tell an object is cursed, she’s stuck with the task. What happens when Theodosia comes up with an object that is so cursed, it affects not only those around it, but all of Britain?

I am quite amazed that I had never heard of Theodosia. It must be because my brothers are too old for it (and are boys) and that I don’t usually frequent the children’s section in bookstores. Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos was a fantastic read all in all. Theodosia is an intelligent, adventurous character who is strong and determined. She carries a lot of weight on her shoulders, but she does it willingly. Her parents aren’t around too much because of their jobs, which relates to my previous post about absentee parents, but that situation is addressed. With Theodosia’s lack of parental influence, she gets into all sorts of trouble, but she somehow manages to get through it.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos is the perfect book for middle grade readers. The story focuses on a young girl, but I think boys would easily enjoy it as well. It has the right amount of action that would keep anyone intrigued.

Opening line:
I don’t trust Clive Fagenbush.

Favorite line:
Let them remember that his retribution was swift and terrible, as it will always be through all eternity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos.

01/14/2010 page 145