Shlomo's Reviews > Blue Blood

Blue Blood by Edward Conlon

U 50x66
Oct 31, 2007

I thought this book was really great. I thought the commentary on police-work was riveting at times, and engaging even when the author described the drudgery of annoying tasks and incompetent bureaucracy. It went beyond tv procedurals in both of these ways, but even without those details and plot points, the memoir is just beautifully written and full of insights and funny metaphors. I also appreciated that he intersperses the history of the New York Police and his own family history. Though, at first I did have a hard time following the shifts between time periods, and near the middle i was very frustrated, not against the author but for the author and the bureaucratic mess he found himself in.

PS this was also a great book to read on the heels of Random Family. Because it covered some of the same subject matter, but obviously with a whole different angle. but more so, it went a lot deeper in making connections and peeling away layers. But i guess thats the nature of a first person memoir vs. an "invisible" third person biographer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Blood.