Brandy's Reviews > Peace Like a River

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: just-about-life
Read in January, 2010

This is such a difficult book to rate. I have so many differing opinions about this book that I would say it ranges from a 3 to a 4, although I don't necessarily think it is a book that I feel made a huge impact on my life, which is what I usually save 4 and 5 star ratings for. Nevertheless, I felt the writing in this book was good enough that I put it at a 4 instead of a 3. I just changed my mind and am putting it at a 3 because 4 star books I will probably read again, but I don't think I will read this one again.

Sometimes I read a book that the writing is pretty shallow and I know that I am reading a book. Other times I read a book and the writing is pretty good and I can get carried away in the story. Then there are times when I read a book and the writing feels so real that when I stop I have to snap back into reality... that I was not actually living inside that book. Kind of like when you wake up from a dream and you have a hard time telling if it was real or not.

This book was like that. At times I would look up from my book and realize that I was actually just sitting in my family room cuddled up in my blankets and that my kids were safe and sound in their beds. Some may argue that his writing could be long winded and I felt that once or twice at the end but mostly through the book I was completely sucked in by the writing.

Now, here is where I get confused. This was a great story. I was completely sucked in. The writing was awesome. Then came the ending. I don't know how I feel about the ending. It wasn't unexpected. I can't complain about that. I fully expected the things to happen that did. But I am still wondering what did we learn from this story. What was the purpose of telling it. I don't feel that every story has to have a moral per se, but I am still wondering why write this story, what compelled the author to tell it. It left me with such an "ok now what feeling" that I can't say I loved the book or that it changed me. The thing that is the most sad to me is that this story had such potential to really pack a punch but it just ended, ended the way you expected with nothing profound from the narrator at the end.

If you have read this, or if you plan to read this, I would really enjoy hearing what you thought, because if I missed something then maybe you can help me find it.
6 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peace Like a River.

Kristine this sums up a lot of my feelings about this book. at the end I just wanted to say, "so . . . . ?"

Annette Well, it looks like we completely agree on this one Brandy!

Diane Dellicker That's how I feel, too.