Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)'s Reviews > The Spellman Files

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

I bought this novel thinking that it would be like the Stephanie Plum series. I was surprised to find out that not only is it not really like the Stephanie Plum series at all, but that it is an excellent first novel in a series. This book was a total page turner!

I cannot say enough good things about this book. Liza Lutz hit the nail on the head with balancing the mystery aspect of the novel with the other themes, family and relationships.

Parts of the book were really quite funny. I loved the trials and tribulations that the lead character Isabel always managed to get herself into. She is not a very good liar, but seems to make her lying ability even worse by piling lie upon lie. She finds herself in some of the most ridiculous situations possible.

The family business is Spellman Personal Investigations. Mom and Dad, Rae who is 14, Isabel who is 28 and David who is 30 all work for or previously worked for (David) the company.

Their once vibrant, now deadbeat uncle comes to live with them and help with the family business which throws the entire family balance into a tailspin. Ray likes to disappear on Lost Weekends and always has to be retrieved from some nasty situation by his family.

At one point in the novel the business card that Isabel uses is displayed, the number on it is real! I of course decided to call, and the number takes you to an answering service for Spellman Investigations! How fun is that?

This series is not Stephanie Plum, but it doesn't need to be. Its an excellent book, keep an eye out for more from the Spellmans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spellman Files.