Amy's Reviews > Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria

F 50x66
Jan 16, 2010

it was ok
Read in January, 2010

After seeing the new movie Young Victoria I wanted a historical novel that would give me more information on the life of Queen Victoria. This book was a sore disappointment. It had no building story lines or climaxes. Instead it read like an expanded time line... da duh da duh da duh da duh. da duh da duh da duh da duh. Additionally instead of a novel about this great love between Albert and Victoria and how they ruled together (the current academic belief)the book focused on how Victoria idealized Albert and thought he was a Saint and she the sinner. It highlighted how she always looked for the male guidance and painted her as needing men to help "control" her faults. I'm not sure if it was the author's perspective that painted Queen Victoria as a weak woman or if that was the historical thought in the 1980s when the book was written. Overall I am most disappointed about what a dry read it was and how there was no suspense. I am also disappointed because the author wrote an extensive number of historical fiction and is revered in England, I expected more from her. I may give another of her novels a chance to see if it was the subject matter. But a disappointment over all, two stars was generous and really only because I appreciated the information about Queen Victoria, but I'll have to find another novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victoria Victorious.