Donna's Reviews > Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard

Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard by Georges Simenon

Jan 13, 10

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read in January, 2010

For several years when my children were growing up, my hobby was studying French. As part of the effort to learn the language, I read many of Georges Simenon's 75 "Maigret" novels. In most cases, the book begins when a murder has occurred; Chief Inspector Maigret finds the perpetrator--not by sniffing out physical evidence but rather by arriving at a deep understanding the victim's life and probable motive of the killer. Never have I read an author better able to create rich, round, credible characters--often several who are fully developed in the space of a mere 200 pages.

After reading so many of his books in French, I was worried about being distracted by poorly chosen words in a translation. But this edition faithfully reflects the spirit of Maigret et l'homme du banc. (The conclusion is more than usually quirky, however; perhaps that part alone may have lost a little something in the translation.)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard.

Antonio Ippolito I am doing the same - reading Simenon in order to brush up my French - and I find it very lively. I would advise also his "romans durs" or non-Maigret works, such as "L'homme qui regardait passer les trains"!

Donna Merci! J'en vais jetter un coup d'oeil!

Antonio Ippolito ce sera un plaisir de les commenter.. je trouve beacoup d'expressions colloquielles!