Bettie☯'s Reviews > Hunting Midnight

Hunting Midnight by Richard Zimler

Jan 13, 2010

bookshelves: published-2003, historical-fiction, winter-20102011, to-read

This ISBN has 534 pages, not the 288 indicated in the blurb box

A fierce wind was driving the rain in off the sea as I made my way home across the slippery cobblestone streets of my beloved city of Porto

Sephardic definition - a subgroup of Jews originating in the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa, usually defined in contrast to Ashkenazi or Mizrahi Jews.

My ongoing thoughts:

was slightly underwhelmed by the first 50 pages or so and seeing how keen I was to disembark into Porto harbour, I worried; surely (don't call me surely) others unfamiliar with Zimler will wobble and mouth a silent uh-oh. Fear not, within the next 50 pages you will find a reluctance to put the brick down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting Midnight.

02/15/2011 page 30
10.0% "[image error]

Othello, The Moor of Venice, James Northcote, 1826"
02/16/2011 page 54
19.0% ""
02/16/2011 page 99
34.0% "

That'll keep him quiet and in his bed." 2 comments

message 1: by Hayes (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:56PM) (new)

Hayes He's just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! :-) Can't hardly see him on the cover of the book.

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes The birdies are gorgeous too!

message 3: by Bettie☯ (last edited Feb 16, 2011 02:40PM) (new) - added it

Bettie☯ This is a lovely but painful story, as was the first in the cycle. Zimler is a favourite and a keeper.

:O)

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes #1 is going on my ruinously long TBR.

message 5: by Bettie☯ (new) - added it

Bettie☯ hah - a thought has just struck me. You mention your TBR in terms of length, whilst I envisage mine in height (Mount TBR). Another pal of mine sees it as a chasing entity, forever snapping at her heels, whilst I am sure I have seen Susanna state that her Mount TBR (height again) is twin-peaked - fiction/non-fiction.

As you can tell, I'm musing along swimmingly under morphine-based cough meds.

:O)

message 6: by Bettie☯ (new) - added it

Bettie☯ Michael wrote: "Look forward to seeing how this one pans out: such a mega interesting topic!"

First 50 odd pages are not as tight as expected then whoosh! off down the water slide we go - hold onto your inflatables