Ronyell's Reviews > The Three Pigs

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner

pigs

“The Three Pigs” is a children’s book written by David Wiesner, author of the famous book “Tuesday.” “The Three Pigs” is about how the three pigs basically come out of the story and their adventures in the real world. This book is the winner of the Caldecott Medal and is surely to send kids rolling over with laughter.

David Wiesner’s writing is smart and creative, but it is his illustrations that take center stage here. At first, the three pigs are drawn in regular two-dimensional storybook characters, but when the first pig gets blown out of the story, he is suddenly a three-dimensional and realistic looking character indicating that the pig has broken the line between fantasy, which is the story he was in and reality, where he is blown out of the page. This goes on throughout most of the book where the cat playing the fiddle and the dragon turn three-dimensional also when they came out of their stories until the end of the book where all the characters are two-dimensional again when they come back to the three pigs’ story. My favorite image in this book would have to be when the first pig is looking straight at the audience and exclaims:

“I think… someone’s out there.”

And you could see his face close up and he is squinting at the audience to see who is out there which indicates that he knows that the audience is watching, which is something that most illustrated characters do not notice while they are in a story. David Wiesner’s writing is creative, especially when the book starts out with the story of the three pigs and then once the first pig is blown out of the page, the writing takes form of a comic book as the characters are speaking through the bubbles you would normally see in comic books.

“The Three Pigs” is a wonderfully surreal story from the creative mind of David Wiesner and is certainly a story that will stand out from the rest of the fractured fairy tales other than “The Stinky Cheese Man.” I would recommend this book for children ages five and up since children younger than five would not understand the complicated plot.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Pigs.

08/11/2016 marked as: read

Ronyell Chandra, you should really read this book. It's awesome and so unusual!!

Yongnan Zhu thank u to write this nice review for this book. I really like this book, it's out of general think about a story.very nice book to read, and to let children to know.

message 3: by Mooka (last edited Dec 01, 2015 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mooka Srisurayotin "it is his illustrations that take center stage here."
I agree with you on his illustration. Both plot and illustrations were unexpected from the beginning to the end of the book. I also notice how he transforms 2 dimensional drawing into 3 dimensional, more realistic looking. As a reader I love how the characters starting to come to life and float one the negative space.

Ronyell Yongnan wrote: "thank u to write this nice review for this book. I really like this book, it's out of general think about a story.very nice book to read, and to let children to know."

You're welcome! :D

Ronyell Mooka wrote: ""it is his illustrations that take center stage here."

I agree with your comment too!