Buggy's Reviews > Beauty and the Black Sheep

Beauty and the Black Sheep by Jessica Bird

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: harlequin, contemp-rom, shelf-09, he-can-cook-too
Read in December, 2009

Opening line:"The only warning Frankie Moorehouse had that twenty gallons of water were going to fall on her and her desk was a single drop."

I don't generally read a lot of Harlequin but I am a huge fan of JR Ward and her Black Dagger Brotherhood which is how I discovered her alter ego Jessica Bird. I enjoyed this, her debut novel and could definitely hear Ward's voice in the writing, particularly when it comes to her sexy yet somewhat tortured male characters. And although this is a predictable, feel good romance Bird kept my interest throughout the engaging love story with interesting secondary characters and multiple POV's. In fact she's left me curious enough that I'm going to have to read the rest of the Moorehouse Legacy series to find out what happens to them all.

Ten years ago Frankie's parents died in a boating accident leaving her to raise her younger brother and sister and care for Grand-Em who suffers from dementia (I loved Grand-Em) To help pay the bills Frankie's turned the family's 6th generation mansion into a Bed & breakfast/restaurant. Unfortunately without the money for upkeep the walls are literally crumbling down on top of them. Tonight the chef's quit and Frankie's reached the end of her endurance, she's exhausted and if business doesn't pick up soon she's going to have to sell.

As fate would have it chef extraordinaire Nate Walker's beloved car Lucille has just broken down leaving him stranded on the side of the road. In his search for a phone so he can continue on to New York, Nate unknowingly enters the chaos of Frankie's kitchen. And before she can say "no soup for you" he's saved the night, putting her naïve staff to work and whipping up a fancy chicken dish for the starving guests.

The attraction between our pair is instantaneous (this is Harlequin after all) but Frankie's not going to be taken in by Nate's green and gold flecked eyes or his athletes body easily she's been burned once too many. That's a good thing too because in Nate's opinion Frankie really needs to dial down the attitude, though he can't help wondering what lies beneath the glasses and baggy clothes or how she'd look if she would just smile. Maybe he'll postpone buying that restaurant in New York, just for the summer of course, help Frankie get back on her feet before he leaves. I mean what's the worst that could happen? It's not like he's going to fall in love or anything. It's not like he'll mow her lawn wearing nothing but a pair of cut-offs, sweat trickling down his muscled chest. Cheers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty and the Black Sheep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindi (new) - added it

Cindi Yep, I want me a Moorehouse Man! These brothers are delish too.

Buggy Mmmmm A Moorehouse man

message 3: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review Buggy!
I only read A Man In A Million--is Spike in this one too? And who are these Moorhouse men? What's the significance of the Moorehouse name?

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Jun 25, 2010 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Oh Auntee you have to read the whole series! A man In a Million is book #4 and my least favorite in the bunch. The books revolve around The Moorehouse family, 2 sisters and a brother (except for Spike who is a friend of brother Alex Moorehouse) There's continuing threads throughout and I believe Spike makes brief appearances in each book. From The First is book #3 and I would consider it one of all time favourite romances. The whole series is good though Auntee, you will love them, even better when read in order

message 5: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Thanks for the info, Buggy! If "A Man In A Million" is your least favorite, then I'm in for a treat with the rest of them.:)

message 6: by Buggy (last edited Jun 25, 2010 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy I'd never read Harlequin before this series but being a Ward fan I just had to check them out and I loved them. Its definitely formulatic romance but you can also really hear the WARDens voice and see hints of the Brothers to come. Yes, lots for you to look forward to

message 7: by Auntee (new) - added it