Adrienne's Reviews > The Magic of Ordinary Days

The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel

F_50x66
Jan 12, 10

My garbled thoughts: I gave it a four, but I think it's more like a 3.5 or so for me. The lower rating is for the parts where I felt the author was way too obvious. She really felt the need to spell things out several times instead of allowing subtlety and symbolism do their jobs. Like when Ray explains how he and Daniel used to search all over for their shiny, stretched out pennies and finally find them right under their noses. I got that analogy right away, and then found myself annoyed when she hammered it home by repeating it a thousand times. On the other hand, I have been thinking about just what she meant by her constant references to dirt and grime, contrasted with how every single time she mentioned the Japanese-American family she was sure to point out how super neat and tidy they were. While I certainly noticed the repeated referencing, I haven't been able to deduce the deeper meaning. So I guess maybe I needed that one spelled out for me--apparently I can't be pleased! Those are my main gripes. That said, I did enjoy the book quite a bit, and kept reading because I was anticipating the crime and betrayal and I wanted to see exactly how Rose and Lorelei would betray her. I enjoyed how Livvy slowly came around to liking Ray, and how his character was revealed just a little at a time. That seemed very fitting. I wished there was some sort of progress made with Livvy's very distant father. I thought the slow pacing of the book was appropriate because it echoed the slow pacing of life in the country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Ordinary Days.