Sharon's Reviews > Julius, the Baby of the World

Julius, the Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes

Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: children-s-books
Read in September, 2009

Initially, Lily is excited upon hearing of the arrival of her baby brother. However, once her parents repeatedly state that the new baby, Julius, will be the "baby of the world," Lily becomes extremely envious and the tale of humorous sibling rivarly ensues. Lily go to mouse extremes in terms of her antics when it comes to her hatred and jealously towards her new baby brother. From warning strangers about the evils of babies to painting evil pictures of her family without Julius and even having "ghastly" nightmares about her brother, Lily was not content about having a new baby brother. When her cousin came over to her house, her cousin called Lily's baby brother, Julius, "disgusting." This is a word that Lily had coined as her own to refer to Julius when her parents spoke of his praise as the baby of the world. Surprisingly much to Lily's dismay, she didn't appreciate the way Julius had been referred to, as in disgusting, by anybody other than herself. Therefore from then on, she defended and treated her baby brother with respect and unconditional love.
This heartwarming story which I read in my internship's pre-k classroom appealed to me because as a sibling of my brother, I can recall sharing many of the same petty sentiments which were evoke from Lily's jealously of her brother. Nonethless, I now own the book and I love reading it because the humor and connection to my own life were two great aspects of the story I think resonates with not only me but anyone who reads this fantastic story, especially young children!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julius, the Baby of the World.