Meg Powers's Reviews > The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl in America

The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl ... by Michelle Tea

Jan 13, 2010

bookshelves: lechery, readin2010, wickedqueer
Read in January, 2010

Apparently a lot of people hate this book. Although I tend to avoid any feminist work that emits the slightest odor of man-hate, I really enjoyed Michelle Tea's account of her young adulthood. It's honest without being obnoxious, and it doesn't reek of self-importance nor does it carry on in a "boo hoo" pretentious self-deprecating way. Her abundance of commas really irritated me at first, but when I realized an abundance of semicolons would be way worse, I got over it. Anyway, it's pretty key to the stream-of-consciousness thing. It reads like her brain is puking her memories onto the page in a poetic and engaging way that never gets overwhelming or boring.

What first drew me into this book was Tea's descriptions of her and her friends' teen-gothdom in Boston. I've dipped into goth culture pretty consistently, and it's interesting to read a first person account from the era my generation of goths romanticize the crap out of. The bulk of the book, however, focuses on Tea's growing understanding of her sexuality,and her exciting, frustrating, and disappointing experiences with lesbianism. Although Tea was way more successful at getting hit on by femmes (and way more successful at the goth thing) than I was at the age of 20, I found myself relating a lot, and I recommend this book to anyone struggling with their own sexual identity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl in America.