Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)'s Reviews > The Exiled Queen

The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima

Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: best-character-s, boring, cfmf, own-ab, ya, yst
Read in February, 2011

I just want to say that the only reason this book gets four stars and not two is because of Han. Han is my man. He is one of my all-time favorite characters, and he outshines everyone in this book. I did NOT CARE ONE WHIT about Raisa. Now, I don't hate Raisa, but sometimes she SO annoys me. She's very self-absorbed (not purposely) and can't put herself in anyone else's shoes. She treats Amon like crap, and never considers his feelings--she thinks she's the only one with feelings, and, as she readily admits on numerous occasions, she likes to have pity parties for herself.

Poor Han. He's got SO many people out to get him for SO many different reasons. I couldn't take the pressure if I were him. Nope. He's amazing. I mean, he lost his whole family, and he's still pushing through and trying to do what he feels is right. Everyone thinks of him as this cold, heartless killer, and they don't see the person he truly is. Raisa, though lying to him, gets to know him, learns to trust him, and discovers there is more to him than what everyone else says.

At times Dancer annoyed me, and at other times I loved him. I think part of the problem is that he falls a little flat for me. I'm not really sure what his personlaity is, who he is. When he's being nice to Han, I like him, but when he's accusing Han of one thing or another, of not doing this or that blah blah blah, I want to punch him! Han has so freaking much going on, and Dancer needs to shut up. He is right about one thing I won't mention, but other than that...the way he sided with Cat, a girl he'd just met and who treats him like complete crap throughout the book, calling him names and acting all superior toward him, over Han, his best friend, made me want to kick him in the nuts. And then Cat...nope. I hate her. She is THE MOST SELFISH PERSON EVER BORN in the literary world. At one point she actually asks Han to kill her because she's tooo cowardly to do it herself! Are you kidding me? And this is the girl Dancer is enamored of? Really? Ick. I'll pass.

As for Amon...well, I like him most of the time, but not when he's acting superior or condescending toward Han. Luckily he seems to come around by the end. He's so mature and soldierly...I feel really sorry for him, because I felt his pain and, unlike Raisa, he has no trouble considering others--he always puts himself last.

The first half of this book bored me to tears. Not gonna lie. It got better once Han got to Oden's Ford and met up with Raisa. Raisa seems to fall in and out of love at the drop of a hat--I think the issue is that she doesn't know what love is...Not sure why every male characters is so obsessed with her---she's not that great a catch in my opinion. Han is the ocean to her mud puddle. Yeah. I said it.

There were more side-character deaths here. Unpleasant as usual, but expected. Welll, that seems to be about it. Just want to get out of here with this statement: Raisa, pick a guy. Or better yet, don't, since you're too stupid. Han, dump "Rebecca" and come to me.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exiled Queen.