Brianna's Reviews > Wicked: Witch & Curse

2048003
Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** (Based only on WITCH, the first book/ first half)

I can honestly say that this was one of my least favorite books I have ever read...

1) Okay, so when I read the back of this book, it seemed like a book that would be a rather light read. The summary on the back of the book seemed so far off about what this story was truly about. It's supposed to be about Holly... But it really isn't.

2) To me, it seemed like the author was trying so hard to make sense of why the Cahors and Deveraux hate each other that it only made things more confusing. Really, only a simple explanation was needed. Due to the way the author was struggling to come up with a decent plot, several other important aspects of the tale were left out, such as...

3) The characters were so terribly underdeveloped. I don't ever recall reading a description about what Holly looks like, and I almost always remember that. I can't even tell if she's sarcastic and witty or bratty or sweet, she just seems so incredibly FLAT... Usually if I don't like the book but the characters are amazing, I say I enjoyed the book anyway. The only two characters I'm fond of are Tommy and Amanda.

4) I didn't understand a lot of the book. Some of it just didn't make sense... It seemed so preconceived, like a bad fanfiction with tons of plotholes. A lot of this book seemed rushed to me. Like "Ladida suddenly I love Jer! Whoo-hoo!" But she never acted like it until he died. Sure they loved each other in past lives, but I feel like there's so much more the author could have done.

5) The back of the book states that it is about Holly when in reality, the POV changes so much, I just wanted to hurl the book out the window!

6) What's with the flashbacks? Was there really a necessity for quite so many? The author could have condensed that into one chapter and spent the rest of the time on some of the above issues.

All in all, I'm still deciding whether it's worth my time to read the other half of this book and the following even though I already own all of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Lucylyn Goense Wow, I could not have said it better myself. I was never much of a reader, but my room mate got me reading the twilight series and I honestly liked in a lot, what more I liked reading. I didn't know it because I guess I never found anything I like to read. I picked up the percy jackson books next and really like those too. I thought I could tackle the (fantasy) literary world! So I asked the book keep for a suggestion, and after a while of going to the same place I realize she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about, because she suggested this trash! Not knowing that publishers would actually produce a series of garbage, I bought all 3 thinking I would be busy for at least a week.

Anyways, after the first flash back I was seriously confused. I read over and over trying to find what I must have skipped to help make it make more sense. But no, there was no two pages stuck together or anything like that, it was just poorly written. At very least later in the story it would "announce" when the author up and decided to throw in some change of perspective.

Anyways, after the first 5 chapters or so, I too wanted to throw it through a window.

I think the story is actually pretty good all in all, but it could have definitely been written better. There's too much trying to make aspects work in the story and having to explain them to do so that I felt like I was wasting my time watching some one trying to beat a dead horse (no pun intended).

I did read all of the books, but only because I had already bought them and couldn't find the receipt. I wish publishers had a "satisfaction guaranteed" like junk food manufacturers do, so i could get my damn money back.

Brianna I wasted part of a Border's gift card on this crap which makes me feel even wrose, looking back, what with the bankruptcy.

The biggest thing fore was just that the description was incredibly misleading! I bought the book thinking it would actually be about a girl who struggled with her powers - instead I get all these poorly written flashbacks that were totally unnecessary and rdeundant... Gah. I'm getting worked up again.

Good to know I'm not the only one out there who absolutely despised these.

Laura It makes more sense when you read the other half of the book. The author explains more. Trust me, its worth it if you need a light read. I didn't understand it at first either, but over time you'll understand. My friend told me the same thing.

Samantha two word: it's crap
waste of money, and it makes me sad to say it.