Tippy Jackson's Reviews > Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

Fluke by Christopher Moore

May 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, christopher-moore, fantasy, environment, science-fiction, animalia
Read from March 13 to May 11, 2011

Wow! This was fantastic! Alright, it starts off a bit slow. You got to meet everybody and then there's some research stuff happening that I didn't care about for a while. After a few chapters, it really takes off. And about half way through, you are in an entirely different world. This book hit a little close to home-as a former scientist who appreciates science for science's sake but still believes that given our limited resources more science should be focused on practical applications at the moment. This book kind of delved into that dilemma a little bit. But mostly, at the end he has a little conservation blurb (which he did in his usual humorous style) where he encourages eating only sustainable seafood-one of the issues I have been personally working on for a while. Naturally, he hit close to my heart, so perhaps I'm giving this book more credit than is due. Still, he creates an entire world, with fabulous creatures, while still keeping true to current scientific theories, somewhat. He has his usual hilarious random phrases and a unique style that I truly appreciate. After reading only 3 of his books, Christopher Moore is one of my favorite authors and there is no one else out there like him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fluke.

Quotes Tippy Liked

Christopher Moore
“There's some heinous fuckery goin' on mon.”

Christopher Moore
“Growl, you live in a slime lair and maintain an identity as the mysterious overlord of an undersea city, you command a fleet of meat dreadnaughts with crews of humanoid whale people, and you're currently reclining in a pulsating mass of gelatinous goo that looks like it escaped from hell's own Jell-O mold--so excuse the fuck out of me if I question your motives.”
tags: humor

Christopher Moore
“[Conservation] Barring that, just yell at people randomly to stop killing whales. It could catch on. Really.
("Would you like fries with that?"
"Shut up and stop killing whales!"
"Thank you. Drive through, please.")”

Christopher Moore
“No theory ever benefited by the application of data, Amy. Data kills theories. A theory has no better time than when it's lying there naked, pure, unsullied by facts. Let's just keep it that way for a while."

"So you don't really have a theory?"

"Clueless."

"You lying bag of fish heads."

"I can fire you, you know. Even if Clay was the one that hired you, I'm not totally superfluous to this operation yet. I'm kind of in charge. I can fire you. Then how will you live?"

"I'm not getting paid."

"See, right there. Perfectly good concept ruined by the application of fact.”