kari's Reviews > The Giver

2207055
Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: ya, 2010, 5-star
Read in March, 2010

Imagine a world where you have no decisions to make. From the moment you’re born until your last breath, someone else decides for you. What you wear, what you eat, what your profession will be, who your life partner will be or whether or not you’re allowed to have one, or children, which aren’t biologically yours as all children are produced by the women whose job it is to create them. All emotions must be examined and discussed so they can be smoothed out of existence. The people’s lives have become so flat that they don’t even see colors anymore.
In this world, everyone has enough and being the same is the rule of the day. Everyone has the same hair cut, wears the same clothes. When you reach the age of twelve your occupation is chosen for you. Everyone is peaceful and contented; no one coveting anything that they don’t have. Strong emotions are gone.
Sound like Utopia?
Not so fast.
At the age of twelve, children are given their occupations and Jonas is to become the Receiver, the repository of all memories. While working with the Giver, the old man who is slowing turning the memories over to Jonas, he begins to see the reality of his world and it isn’t pretty.
Without giving spoilers, I can’t say much more, but this is a terrific story; one that makes you think.
I’m not sure why it’s been considered controversial or why some places tried to ban it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ Great review! This was a fantastic book. It may be small but powerful!

kari I really wish I could say more about it, but I don't want to give any of the plot away. There is so much in it and leaves you really thinking about life, etc.

Madelyn Totally agree.Can't wait to read the next book.

Flora (Excessive hubris.) I heard it's boring. Anyway... I like the book. Was for my drama. So... kinda force to read. *Sigh...

message 5: by kari (last edited Jul 11, 2012 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

kari Flora wrote: "I heard it's boring. Anyway... I like the book. Was for my drama. So... kinda force to read. *Sigh..."

The second book didn't feel any real connection to this one and didn't really feel like a complete story.

Flora (Excessive hubris.) kari wrote: "Flora wrote: "I heard it's boring. Anyway... I like the book. Was for my drama. So... kinda force to read. *Sigh..."

Do you find the second book predictable?

kari Flora wrote: "kari wrote: "Flora wrote: "I heard it's boring. Anyway... I like the book. Was for my drama. So... kinda force to read. *Sigh..."

The second book didn't feel any real connection to this one and di..."

I think so. It didn't feel much connected to the first book. Maybe if I read the third one, I'd see the connection? Don't know.

Mohamed Reminds me of the Anthem by Ayn Rand... And the search for individuality..

kari Mohamed wrote: "Reminds me of the Anthem by Ayn Rand... And the search for individuality.."

That's a good take on it. I'm interested in what the movie will do with it.

Emmyisdabae this book was flat out terrible

message 11: by kari (new) - rated it 5 stars

kari Emmyisdabae wrote: "this book was flat out terrible"

It is definitely different. I can see your point of view, it is one you'll either love or hate. Better luck with your next read. Thanks for the comment.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) This book wasn't terrible, but the last book...? GUH!

Emmyisdabae ok...