Kalyn's Reviews > Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It

Bottlemania by Elizabeth Royte

F_50x66
Jan 12, 10

Read in January, 2010

In this book, Elizabeth Royte goes deep to examine how bottled water became ubiquitous and what that means for people around that industry. She spent some time looking at tap water, its treatment and supply, but most of the focus in on the bottled water industry, specifically Poland Spring (Nestle). She goes to the town that supplies the water for Poland Spring and investigates the effects on the town and how it got to that point.

Royte investigates how we (as a society) got to this point, but I would have liked more of an investigation as to what that means for us. She talks about how the commoditization of water will mean less access to clean, cheap supplies in the future and how moving water away from watersheds could affect water supply on a more global scale, but she doesn't explain how that will happen or explore what that really means for our future as a society. A good book and good investigation into the past, but don't expect any solutions to the problem to be offered or for an exploration of potential future impacts. Sadly, that means many readers won't find impetus to change their habits, at least not here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottlemania.