Shivering William's Reviews > Heads On and We Shoot: The Making of Where the Wild Things Are

Heads On and We Shoot by Michelle Quint

Jan 14, 10

Read in January, 2010

I'm not sure everyone would be interested in reading Heads On and We Shoot cover to cover, but once I started I couldn't stop.

It covers everything from 1960's articles where psychiatrists warn mothers not to leave their children alone with a copy of Where the Wild Things Are to the moment when the crew realizes the Animatronics inside the monster heads were to heavy for the suit actors to move forcing an impromptu rebuilding of all the costumes once they reached Australia to Max Records' list of injuries he received on set including 'injurys 1' and 'injuries 2.'

I guess whether you like this book or not depends a great deal on whether or not you liked the movie. I'm often surprised at people's reaction to the film. The other day I heard a guy say, "I watched two movies today. I went to the theater and saw Where the Wild Things Are, and you know, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy because it was a kid's movie. And then I came home and I watched District 9, and it was all crazy explosions and people getting their arms ripped off and stuff." Hmm. My friend Kara thinks the movie was completely without emotion. Hmm.

Anyway, I normally wouldn't recommend a movie book so highly, but this is McSweeney's, and they did a bang up job of collecting all these small moments into a strange, double-spined book that reads like a little adventure itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heads On and We Shoot.