John Brooks's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Dec 03, 13

Recommended for: people with souls

The crown jewel of the Harry Potter series, "Half-Blood Prince" is one of the finest novels I've read in my lifetime. Having allowed us to watch Harry evolve and mature for so many years, Rowling finally lifts the veil, so to speak, humanizing the larger than life characters of not just Dumbledore and Snape, but significantly and achingly, Tom Riddle. This is love letter to one of the hardest things we all experience: the moment that your idols become your peers, your parents become your friends, and your superiors your equals, when you realize we're all in this together and that it is nobody's job to shelter you, and when, finally, you realize that people are absolutely human.
Rowling's affection for her characters and her sympathy for even the most vile of her creations (the Malfoys and Voldemort himself) are at the heart of Harry Potter's lasting beauty and insight. Here, she explores her three most fascinating creations, and one wishes the story would never end. But it does, and when it does, Harry is faced with the same challenge that Rowling subjects her readers to: how much faith do you really have in what you've been told, and do you believe, at the end of the day, that good really does win out?

A timeles classic. One of my favorites, ever.
166 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Jessica Wonderful comments!!!!

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I'm a ginger...I have no soul and I still loved this book. So technically this sound be recommended for people with or without souls

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) Beautifully written review that perfectly describes Half Blood Prince, and the Harry Potter series as a whole!

message 4: by Asher (new)

Asher Woldamlak Even thought this book is good, I do not believe that it is the crown jewel. I believe that the seventh book is the best. In the sixth book Dumbledore left Harry with a quest, and I don't think that that was appropriate. Some people may say that it was a coming of age test, but it was simply too much for a seventeen year old. He had to find all of Voldemort's Horcruxes. We are talking about the Greatest dark wizard in the world, and a seventeen year old must defeat him. I thing that this book is good but I don't think that it was the best one.

Eden Gunther Well I find your review very refreshing to a young readers eye. I also agree that this is one jewel of the collection and it started one of the best adventures of the Harry Potter series. This book shows the things ahead that will be the struggle of Harry and his friends in the next books.

Corazón Soriano amazing. I couldn't have explained it better than you. this is way my favourite hp book because u know there's still a little of humanity in Voldemort's past. it was his decision to go to Hogwarts. wow! this is unbelievable amazing and the finest hp book. Rowling can handle teenage stuff and Voldemort's life and that's a huge achievement

Judy Yes I agree with you this was the best.