Lee's Reviews > DEAD[ish]

DEAD[ish] by Naomi Kramer

3142072
Jan 15, 10

Read from January 11 to 13, 2010 — I own a copy

It's taken me a couple of days to digest this. DEAD[ish:] is funny, vulgar, and thought-provoking. I can't help but think about the wonderful movie "Ghost," though DEAD[ish:] couldn't be more different. Both stories deal with the question of how a ghost deals with the world they've been forced to leave behind.

In both stories the deceased have something tying them to the world of the living. While Patrick Swayze's character in "Ghost" has the noble purpose of finding his killer and saving his beloved, Linda in DEAD[ish:] has to locate her body to move on. She's convinced that tormenting the boyfriend who murdered her will accomplish this. The results are amusing, but not altogether successful.

DEAD[ish:] is short, and there are frequent point-of-view shifts that would be disconcerting if the author wasn't so diligent about labeling them. To say that the narrative is heavy with obscenities is an understatement (Kramer drops more F-bombs than a B-17 over Berlin), but instead of seeming gratuitous, the language adds to the genuiness of her characters' voices.

If you're not easily offended, DEAD[ish:] is a good, quick read, and definitely worth a few laughs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DEAD[ish].