Andrew Breslin's Reviews > The Family

The Family by Mario Puzo

Jan 12, 10

I've read most of Mario Puzo's books, and this does not, in my opinion, compare favorably with the others. It's not bad, but, unlike The Godfather, it didn't fill me with ambitions to become a ruthless gangster, or, in this case, a scheming Pope.

Not that we can really judge Puzo too harshly. He died before finishing this, and I can personally attest to how hard it is to finish writing a book even if you are still alive. I can only imagine it's even tougher when you're dead.

He worked on it for years, decades, in fact, and his girlfriend finished it after he died. Kudos to her for wrapping it up, and an impressive job she did, but it still reads just a little bit like something a great writer worked on for years and was never able to finish and whose girlfriend finished after he died. Sort of.

Which, again, is not bad but we're grading on a pretty steep curve. Puzo was the undisputed master of, for lack of a better genre description, fiction featuring diabolical Italians. This did keep me turning the pages, and prompted some interest in that era and the Borgias. But it didn't haunt me, move me, inspire me. It's great to see dramatization of the fact that the Catholic Church was once even more corrupt than it is now, but modern-day gangsters are, to me, a little more exciting.

I think it's because they have guns. The Borgias did most of their killing with poison. Effective, yes, but not as dramatic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley this was a great review.. I cant wait to hear more from you. your intelligence really overflows in this review!!! great books in your profile too!!!!

Andrew Breslin Aw! Thanks so much! That makes my whole day. :)