Brian's Reviews > John

John by R.C. Sproul

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: 2010
Read in January, 2010

The Gospel according to St. John is unique in the four Gospels in that it only shares about ten percent of its content with the other three and includes the Upper Room Discourse, Christ's High Priestly prayer, and the seven I AM sayings of Jesus. And R.C. Sproul, in this expositional series he preached to his own church, does a masterful job of patiently interpreting this book.

There are many passages to be read over and over, and here are just two:

On the church being made to be confessional - "the church that Christ built and is building must always be a confessing church. When I speak of the church as a confessing church, I'm not simply speaking of the confession of sin that we utter before God, but rather the confession of our faith. Christ promises redemption to those who not only believe in His resurrection in their hearts but who confess Him with their mouths (Rom. 10:9)." (pg. 262)

On love - "This was extravagant love. There are times for extravagance, and it is always time for an extravagant manifestation of adoration to Christ. What could you and I possibly do that would be too extravagant in giving Him glory? Anyone who has ever been in love at some point has made an extravagant gift for the one that he or she loved, and the only justification for it was the love that he or she felt. If we love Christ, it is appropriate to love Him extravagantly, for He is worthy of extravagant love." (pg. 218-9)

The only detraction of this otherwise fine book is R.C.’s uncharacteristically imprecise descriptions in several places. For instance: "...the ministry of Christ and the significance of the cross were presented to her in a way that caused the scales to fall from her eyes, and she came to a saving knowledge of Christ." (pg. 268) Since when did the presentation of the Gospel play a role in its hearing?

Earlier, he writes: “God doesn't force people into sin and then refuse to rescue them from it. However, He sometimes turns a a sinner over to his sin, which is the most ghastly judgment any person could ever receive from the hands of God. That is what happened to the people of Israel in Isaiah’s day. God did the same thing in Jesus’ day. Due to the rebelliousness of the people, God judged them with the inability to repent even though the message of salvation was being compellingly presented right before their eyes" [emphasis mine]. But, as I say, these are not characteristic of Dr. Sproul’s overall presentation. His preaching and teaching is both accessible and faithful and this is the best volume in the St. Andrew’s Expositional series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John.

01/12/2010 page 25