Brian Regan's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Jan 12, 10

Read in December, 2009

I've always been a big fan of the dark and mysterious, and these books by Joseph Delaney are some of the best I've read for young adults. They're the first two in a series that currently numbers six and promises to keep coming, with the requisite "side" titles and other marketing gimmicks on board.

Thomas Ward is the seventh son of a seventh son who is getting old enough to be apprenticed and leave home. It comes as a surprise when his Mam announces that he'll be heading off with the local "Spook", the fellow people call for help when they have trouble with ghosts, ghasts, boggarts or witches.

John Gregory, the Spook, has a mysterious past and a fierce work ethic. He's tough, but capable of kindness. Together they set off on a series of adventures as Tom is taught his new trade. Along the way we meet Alice, who may or may not be a witch, and who may or may not be turning toward "the dark".

I rarely read more than one in a series, an occupational hazard. There's just too much out there for me to read. Still, I took the time to polish off the second volume (Curse of the Bane )for the sheer, spooky fun of it. Each book is full of gorgeous wood-cut-style illustrations that only intensify the scary mood and portend what's to come in each chapter.

Highly recommended for fans of Darren Shan or RL Stine (and better written).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.