Bill's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Jan 25, 10

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, mystery, religion, thriller
Recommended to Bill by: Media hype
Recommended for: Lovers of thrillers, conspiracy theorists
Read from January 11 to 24, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This would have rated 4 stars if Mr Brown had finished the book on or about page 460, the end of chapter 122. But, no, he continued for another 10 chapters with anticlimactic drivel - most of it pointlessly explanatory. Brown has a bad habit of giving his characters startled reactions and always being shocked and agog at revelations that just aren't all that startling.
Having said all that, I enjoyed the book. A fun ride and a surprising conclusion (chapter 122). Brown's critics decry his lack of literary luster but I believe his writing style appeals to the masses. I hope he laughingly ignores the snobbish critics as he strolls to the bank with massive checks that allow him to live high off the hog. I have read all of Brown's books and I expect I'll read his next one as well. I enjoy "thoughtful" literature as much as the next person but Brown guarantees a fun ride, never mind how outrageous his plot lines and characters can be. His villains are the scum of the earth - and I like that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.