Picture Books's Reviews > Oddly Normal

Oddly Normal by Otis Frampton

Jan 24, 10

bookshelves: author-illustrator, checked_out, picture_books_as_sequential_art, spl, webcomic_too
Recommended to Picture Books by: Graphic Novels shelf in children's section of SPL
Read on January 24, 2010

I chose Oddly Normal for my Picture Books as Sequential Art class because it was on the Graphic Novels shelf in the children's section. It is definitely a comic book with all the comic conventions. It began as a webcomic, just like Copper by Kazu Kibuishi. I had no idea that this was a trend in children's literature, and only found out about Copper from some notes on the ALA convention that my professor sent me.

It is published by Viper Comics, and they have a few thoughts on their blog about what they call "all-ages" content:

Viper’s all ages imprint. So you ask yourself why all ages? and I’ll tell you that’s a very good question. All ages because I have an 8 year old who is my biggest fan, plus not to mention I just can’t help but remember many days while in elementary rushing home to catch the cartoons on tv. Better yet I remember Saturday mornings when I’d get up early just to catch the Saturday Morning cartoons. All ages content have something special in that its something both a parent can enjoy as well as the child. All ages material taps into that inner innocence while allowing us to remember those days where my biggest worry was whether to play outside or stay inside and watch TV. For us all ages content is something we want parents to experience with their children in which reading bedtime stories is cool, or just sitting reading a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oddly Normal.