Sophia (FV)'s Reviews > Shift

Shift by Rachel Vincent

1949110
Feb 14, 2010

Read from February 07 to 14, 2010 — I own a copy

Shift is the 5th book in Rachel Vincent’s Shifter series. This is actually the first book in the series I’ve read but I had no trouble at all picking up the story and keeping up. However, after speaking with friends who have read the entire series, I’m told that the impact of the story would have been much greater had I read the first four books first. Honestly, I don’t even know what to say to that since I was completely blown away reading Shift.

Werecat Prides are taking sides and making alliances on the brink of civil war. While lives have been lost, and families are grieving over losses, political infighting and tension is thick. Faythe, the daughter of the South Central Pride leader and the only female enforcer is inline as her prides next alpha. As her family seeks to avenge the unjustified death of her brother, a new enemy emerges and threatens the Prides very existence. Faythe must face this dangerous enemy to find a way to save the life of a young Pride tabby, as well as her entire pride. The emergence of this new foe could significantly affect the outcome of the impending civil war by drastically weakening the South Central Pride.

As if she doesn’t have enough to worry about, Faythe’s personal life is a mess. In a moment of weakness after her brother’s death, she sought comfort in the arms of an old friend. The problem is, she has a longtime boyfriend that she loves. Her betrayal could not only emotionally destroy those directly involved—herself included—but because of her position in the pride, it could become a political mess as well. She will at some point be forced to face up to her infidelity and make difficult choices that could affect her entire Pride and the men that love her.

While I’m not always a fan of love triangles I will say that the romantic tension created between Jace, Faythe and Marc left me with a lump in my throat. Rachel Vincent has created such a balanced triangle with characters that tore at my heart. I was left completely undecided on my feelings in their relationship. Having become emotionally invested in all three characters I can’t stand the thought of any of them being ruined by the inevitable outcome of this entanglement, whatever it might be.

This book was was filled with suspense and emotional drama that kept me on the edge of my seat. I was riveted watching this young woman with the weight of her world on her shoulders forced to make difficult decisions that could either save or end lives, possibly change the face of the political foundation of the werecats, as well as decide the the future of the two men she loves.

The moment I began to read Shift, I was was completely immersed in Rachel Vincent’s world of werecats. I felt highly connected to the characters throughout and had a difficult time putting the book down for breaks. I will most definitely go back and read the series from the beginning before Alpha, the 6th and final book in the series comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-11)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

Cathy Thanks for reminding me, I didn't have it in my calendar. Gotta work on that; good thing I have friends like you to help me :)

Sophia (FV) That's what I'm here for :)

Angela James What did you think of it? I read it a few weeks ago, threw a review up of it last week on here, and have been dying to hear other people's thoughts.

Sophia (FV) I think I liked it more than you did. The love triangle tore me up and I really wasn't bothered by it in the way that you were. (I still haven't picked a side and almost dread finding out how it will all come out) This is actually the first book I've read in the series, I will be going back for the first four ASAP. I found the werecat politics fascinating and I cannot wait for Alpha.

Angela James You read this book first? That's interesting. I'll bet that affects how you view the love triangle. And I'm in awe of your ability to read out of order. I can't do it.

Sophia (FV) I don't normally like to read out of order. I actually selected the book for review and didn't realize it was the 5th. I'm glad I did though b/c I will buy up everything Rachel Vincent has based on how much I liked this novel.

I can imagine how my coming in at this point affects my view on the triangle since I didn't have any loyalties previous. Perhaps that's why I was so torn up over it as it seemed fairly balanced. Normally I'm annoyed with the object of affection in triangles for being wishy washy but that wasn't the case this time.

Nicole I have read all of these books in order and I am still torn about who Faythe should end up with. I do believe that she has to end up with Marc, or Marc will have to die in the last book because he can't live without her.

Sophia (FV) I have a feeling that this will end so very sad. I'm almost scared to read Alpha.

Nicole I am too, mostly because I don't want the series to end. I love them.

Sophia (FV) I don't want anybody in it to end lol.

Nicole LoL ; )