Stacy's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Mar 31, 10

bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Read in March, 2010

Where are the vampires in this book? Not here. Yay!

This book is all about faeries, trolls, goblins (and a host of other supernatural beings) and takes place in the magical land Nevernever. But wait I am getting ahead of myself…

Meghan Chase, no one really seems to notice her at school. Her only friend is Robbie, whom she has known for ages. Ridiculed and humiliated at school one day, Meghan is devastated. Things only get worse when she gets home and realizes that something is terribly wrong with her brother. From that point on Meghan is on a quest to discover the truth. Along the way she learns her true identify, her powerful potential and that love can be complicated.

I immensely enjoyed this book. Julie Kagawa did a super job developing her characters and her world building was believable. As I ponder each character good and bad, I felt I really understood them. As well, Meghan was true to her character, so was Robbie, Ash, Oberon and even the Cat Sith Grimalkin. The Nevernever world was like a page out of fairy tales. Literally. The added element of the Iron Fey and its ties to the modern era was brilliant.

My favorite parts of the book were the banter and fighting between Ash and Robbie. They hated each other and really both were vying for Meghan’s affection. My favorite character was Grimalkin. He told you like it was, straight forward. And yes, I realize he is a cat. He was cool, calm and collected.

I defiantly recommend this book. Something you could easily read in a day or two.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.