Tara's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, urban-fantasy, weres-and-shifters, fae, vampires
Read from January 17 to 18, 2010

3.5 stars- Just finished and I liked it.

Moon Called is the first in the Mercy Thompson series. Mercy Thompson is a mechanic and shape shifter, she was raised by a pack of wolves and now lives next door to the handsome local Alpha wolf. She's friends with a fae and a vampire and tries to just live her life. Someone said it best when they said that Mercy Thompson is pretty much a normal person with normal friends except they all happen to be supernatural.

I like Mercy. She's a smart narrator. She doesn't spend a lot of time over thinking frivolous things. She's a cool chick that you sort of want to hang out with. Adam, the alpha wolf, is a good guy. You definitely want to hang out with him too. Jesse, his daughter, is the perfect teenager. Zee, despite the fact that he is fae, is the perfect craggy mentor/favorite uncle type of guy. Samuel, Mercy's teenage crush... I don't trust him. He reeks of dishonesty and ulterior motives. Warren and Kyle, I love them. I know them. They aren't silly or just around for comic relief or hilarious one-liners. Stefan, I'm undecided about him right now. Oh and Tony the cop, I think there's more to him than meets the eye.

The plot, well, I didn't really love that so much. I liked the beginning. The middle was interesting. But at the end got a little rushed and convoluted. But the end, end was ok. I still don't like Samuel.

I'm definitely going to continue reading this series.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

01/17/2010 page 51
17.71% "I'm intrigued..."
01/18/2010 page 132
45.83% "I got totally sucked in. But I must sleep. Now." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

new_user Yummy Adam. Nom nom nom.

Tara okay, something to look forward to?

new_user LOL. Yeah, he's the werewolf Alpha. Have you met him yet? :)

Tara I just finished the first time we meet him in the garage, and I likey... I likey a lot!

new_user LOL. You'll be seeing more of him. Hehehe. :D

Tara I hope you mean that the way I'm taking it!! :)

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Frankly, I didn't get the whole Adam infatuation in the first book. And I hated hated hated the last part.
That's alllll I'm going to say.

sincerely,

Mel the buzzkill ;)

Tara Man you really are good about pissing in my cheerios! So are you saying that I'll probably really like this since you didn't?

I'm not getting any updates from GR at all today! So I'm certain I'm missing things that people have written to me.

Gemma I liked Adam, much more than Samual, even from the begining. But I also liked Stephan!

message 10: by Tara (last edited Jan 19, 2010 01:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Oh! I haven't met Stephan. Is he the Vamp that owns the van? I'm not much about Samuel at this point. And I just like Adam. He's an Alpha, he's a good dad, he seems like a good guy and a good leader and he's handsome... all pluses in my book.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL, pissing on your cheerios. Don't get me wrong: Adam definitely had potential. We'll talk about it after you've finished the book.
You don't get to meet Stephan this book, but you do see him next and I really liked him.
Is this your first Briggs book? She writes really good don't you think? I wasn't too in love with the plot and felt it went a little slow sometimes, but still: Briggs's world is very real and she's created very heart felt and likeable characters. And I love her werewolf social structures.

Gemma hmm Adam or Stephan? Adam or Stephan?

COunt me in on the discussion about Adam! :D

The Flooze Tara wrote: "Oh! I haven't met Stephan. Is he the Vamp that owns the van? I'm not much on Samuel at this point. And I just like Adam. He's an Alpha, he's a good dad, he seems like a good guy and a good lea..."

I think the problem some folks have with this series is that it's all very normal. Mercy is so sensible and down-to-earth, and Adam is the kind of guy we'd all LOVE to have living next door and showing us some attention. They just all happen to be supernatural.

new_user I really couldn't see anything to dislike about Adam, frankly. LOL.

The Flooze new_user wrote: "I really couldn't see anything to dislike about Adam, frankly. LOL. "

Nor I.

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Michelle M. wrote: "I think the problem some folks have with this series is that it's all very normal. Mercy is so sensible and down-to-earth, and Adam is the kind of guy we'd ..."

I agree. I actually like Mercy so far and I don't generally dig heroines when they are the narrators, being trapped in their heads is sometimes tortuous. But she's really normal, except the fact that she knows how to fix cars, but that's cool, and not annoying. And she doesn't spend a lot of time obsessing about anything. I like it.

Michelle M. wrote: "new_user wrote: "I really couldn't see anything to dislike about Adam, frankly. LOL. "

Nor I.

:)"

I haven't yet either, but I think I met Stefan. He is the vamp right? He's totally in this first book. They just got to the Vamp house.

The Flooze I said a long time ago that Mercy is the kind of girl I'd like to sit back and have a drink with. She's very chill and would make a great friend.

I never much liked Samuel--for some reason, he rubs me the wrong way.

Stefan is likable, but he's a little flat for a few of the books. I need to re-read them all before the new release!

One thing I really like is that the token gay man in these books is not really "token." He's not there for comedic value. Instead, Warren is amongst the highest ranking of the pack, and he even has his own significant love interest. Refreshing.

message 18: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Huh, I pretty much just wrote almost all the same things in my review! I totally agree.

Ok, Mel, I've finished the book. Tell me what you hated. :)

The Flooze Just read the review. We are so on the same page with this one! Warren and Kyle are two of my favorites. They show up periodically so we keep up with their relationship. And I agree that, from what I recall, the story fell off toward the end.

Jesse is a great kid. I like her relationship with Mercy.

In the spirit of proof reading that you and Mel share, I'll add: in your mention of Tony, it should be more "than" meets the eye. :)

message 20: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Thanks! I just went back and proof read a bunch of stuff from my October and November reviews and I was mortified at some of the grammar.

The Flooze Lol. It happens! Much of the time I write mine in the wee hours of the morning. When I look at them the next day, I find all sorts of odd things!

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oooh, I didn't hate it! If you read my review you can see we pretty much thought the same: Mercy is a great narrator, the plot isn't very strong, blabla.
What I didn't like was the epilogue. There was a little romantic tension hinted between Mercy and Adam but we didn't see it happen and then in the last chapter they go out on an date and kiss? Huh? Did I miss something?

I also thought the plot was a little convulated and was a string of coincidences really. When they found out the drug was administrated by somebody who had access to it they thought it had to be a vet and it happened to be the only vet Mercy knew. That's convenient!

Anyway, I really liked Briggs's writing style and book#2 picks up faster and is more interesting (and has a better plot).

I totally forgot about the vampire house visit: ofcourse we see Stefan! He is way more interesting in the second book.

By the way (proofreading): it's spenD and 'A good guy'

message 23: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Thanks. Corrections made!

Nah, the kiss didn't bother me. I saw it coming. I thought she dropped a ton of hints throughout that it was coming. And once Jessi stopped by to asked her to dinner, I knew that kid was going to "get sick" and leave them to a solo date. She's that kind of kid.
I agree about the plot though. The fact that the bad guy spelled it out for me at the end and I still had trouble following it...?

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Yep me too. But the plot is better next book.

The Flooze She's that kind of kid. Lol.