Marian Willeke's Reviews > Echo Park

Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: mysteries, fiction
Read in January, 2010

Although it's the 12th book of Connelly's Bosch series, I jumped right into it as my first book (unabridged) to accompany my trip from Denver to Indianapolis last week. I enjoy a good mystery, and as a Scarpetta fan, I recognise that protagonist series like this has it's up and down books. Without a comparison to other Bosch books, I would guess that this is a good one, but assuming there are better in the series since this one is not especially riveting.

The plot does send your emotions back and forth (Bosch was wrong; Bosch was right), but when it came down to brass tacts, I felt the result was a little far fetched...not that the political machine wouldn't work that way, but that it would have been started in the first place for this particular incident.

I did think the FBI agent girlfriend-for-a-plot was more distracting than helpful to the plot, except for the painfully obvious issue that Bosch needed to sound ideas out aloud with somebody he trusted since his partner was unavailable.

It was nice to see the struggles of a the good guy and it's not the background, but the decisions that put people on the road they follow.

I would read more Bosch stories, but probably more out of convenience than desire.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo Park.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Jan 13, 2010 06:39AM) (new)

Victoria Can't wait to read the review. I think I read this but not sure. I do love the Harry Bosch character.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I remember this now. But you will have to get used to Harry and his women. He always has a girlfriend in the book. No, this isn't the best one, but off the top of my head I can't recall good ones. On another note, I just met a man named Hieronymus.