Lori's Reviews > The Double

The Double by José Saramago

Nov 22, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in November, 2007

I quite like Jose Saramago's ideas and story lines, but I find some of his novels very difficult to get through. This being one of them. The first 150-200 pages were hard work, the author tends to overcontemplate, side track his thoughts and expand on the simpliest of things. The last 100 pages or so were the payoff... the story was weaved together much tighter, more focused, and flowed a bit quicker. (hense the 3 stars)

For anyone new to Saramago, I would recommend breaking him into chewable chunks, but be sure to swallow the whole story. It is very intriguing, as are most of his works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boof (new) - added it

Boof Lori, I'm frantically looking through reviews of other Saramago books now. It's one in the morning and I have to be up in 5 hours but I can't sleep for thinking about Blindness. It's so amazing! I'm gutted now I've finished it and for the first time ever I am seriously thinking about starting it all over right now. I will of course have to indulge in a Saramago splurge tomorrow to stock up - I think it would be rude not to really ;-)

Lori haa haa... Even tho this novel was hard to get into in the begining.. I really liked it overall... His style is really the thing that draws me to him. He takes the simpliest little thing and turns it into an obsession!!!

Fatima Abdullah u know Lori! I enjoyed the first 100 pages but I didn't swallow the others!