Joshua's Reviews > Nobody Move

Nobody Move by Denis Johnson

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in January, 2010

Denis Johnson follows up his massive 2007 National Book Award winner Tree of Smoke with a short burst of crime fiction that is enjoyable if you like DJ or enjoy reading about criminals or sad sacks who get embroiled into a situation that spirals out of control.

That's the gist of Nobody Move. A guy owes money for gambling and gets in hot water when he tries not to pay (it involves bullets) and then hooks up with another woman running foul of the law. The pair attempt to get away without losing their lives and keeping the $$$.

Classic DJ style--sharp, clear writing. Lots of dialogue. I happen to enjoy his style quite a bit. I own Tree of Smoke and need to get to it in '10--it's a time commitment compared to this though. Nobody Move is over in a couple of hours.

Kind of interesting that DJ and Thomas Pynchon have written these shortish, genre books and put them out at the same time. I happen to have enjoyed this more than the Pynchon book but both are worth checking out as both these writers are important American novelists writing today.

***update: i thought about my score and decided to downgrade to three stars due to the fact that there was just not enough of an arc to these characters. there actions didn't really hold up to thinking "why would they do that?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Move.