Heather's Reviews > Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: 50-books-2009
read count: 1

Ah, Picoult. She's almost solely responsible for keeping me committed to the task of reading 50 books. "Keeping Faith" is a book I *never* would've bothered reading, if it weren't Picoult who'd written it. I see stuff about religion and miracles and parents and I just want to walk away. But I'm glad I wasn't interested in reading anything else at the library that day! "Keeping Faith" is about a woman who catches her husband in the midst of his second affair. He leaves her, and soon thereafter, her 7-year old daughter, Faith, begins talking to an imaginary friend who she calls her "Guard." "Guard" is a woman. Soon, little Faith begins to spout Catholic dogma (which is surprising, given that her mother is a lapsed Jew who never taught her daughter any kind of religious beliefs), and says it came from her guard. This would be eerie enough, but then Faith develops stigmata. Is Faith's mother hurting her, or is the little girl really seeing God? A fascinating read (even for non-religious types, like myself), even if it is a little hammy with the canned romanticism at points.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Faith.