Eric Luke's Reviews > Carrion Comfort

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

Feb 28, 2010

Read in February, 2010

In Dan Simmons' largely undiscovered, massive, award-winning second novel, first published in 1990, he enters Stephen King territory and owns it. This is one of the best plotted and characterized modern horror novels I've read, if that's your cup of... tea. Interweaving the best elements of political conspiracy thiller with a fresh take on psychic dominance, reinterpreting this century's historic atrocities, and at the same time, like all great horror, relating it to the deepest, darkest parts of the human psyche, Simmons pull off quite a few major genre tricks with a master's flair. Written in a terse, insightful voice that allows for dramatic characterization from first person narration when it's needed, it's a horror page turner with intelligence, and troubling implications that stay with us, bringing a new and unsettling perspective to not only personal relationships, but today's headline news. The new Forward, the story of Simmons's real-life journey from teacher to writer, is almost as compelling as the novel. Stephen King says “CARRION COMFORT is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th century. Simple as that.” and I tend to agree.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrion Comfort.